Our Vision: To ensure that DT fulfills the need to explore creatively whilst gaining an understanding of the world around us.
Subject Leader: Miss Shepherd
The National Curriculum Purpose of Study for DT:
“Design and technology is an inspiring, rigorous and practical subject. Using creativity and imagination, pupils design and make products that solve real and relevant problems within a variety of context, considering their own and others’ needs, wants and values. They acquire a broad range of subject knowledge and draw on disciplines such as mathematics, science, engineering, computing and art. Pupils learn how to take risks, becoming resourceful, innovative, enterprising and capable citizens. Through the evaluation of past and present design and technology, they develop critical understanding of its impact on daily life and the wider world. High-quality design and technology education makes an essential contribution to the creativity, culture, wealth and well being of the nation.”
DT at Kemsley:
The DT we implement is closely linked to the Cornerstones curriculum covered each term by each year group. This allows for both cross curricular links to happen and for the children to see a purpose to the work they are doing.
Throughout the school, we follow and use a ‘cycle’ approach for DT. This involves the children planning their product through the use of a design criteria, using a range of tools and equipment to construct/make their product and then evaluating against their initial design criteria.
We encourage the children to take responsibility when using a range of tools and construction materials they may not have come across before through ensuring they are clear on health and safety procedures and have to follow them.
What we are good at:
- Most children talk confidently about their ideas and present information effectively by writing, drawing and using sketches.
- Teachers manage lessons and complex tools and equipment, including ICT, accurately and safely.
- Links with other subjects contribute to pupils’ achievements in D and T.
Things we are working on:
- Pupils analysing and using own research effectively to support their designing and to test the effectiveness of their products.
- Pupils demonstrating resilience in solving design problems and technical challenges.
- Providing opportunities for pupils to design and make products in response to real problems for real clients.